SundarBazaar, Nepal

SundarBazaar, Nepal
Misty Mountains while trekking in Nepal

Monday, April 25, 2011

Eat less, move more.

Those who know me (basically, anyone reading this) is aware of the monumental change that has happened in my life recently that will culminate in a huge party and the commencement of a rest-of-your-life journey that I've agreed to embark upon with another person.

Which is slightly odd, because I demand this of a few people in my life - the Negro Wonder, Poncho, Cape Boy; all of them have forged unbreakable vows of lifetime companionship with me whether they know it or not. This particular lifetime companionship seems to be the only one to require a celebration with a dress code, rituals and traditions, and enough flowers to attract every bee in the county. (Note to self: Yet ANOTHER reason why I'm kicking custom to the curb and avoiding florals like I'm my hyper-allergic maid of honor.)

However, idea of our impending nuptials has me in knots over one thing in particular which is ALWAYS in the back of my mind but now sees itself being dragged FRONT AND CENTER. That particular issue is body image, namely what image I see of myself. I've always known that my self image is skewed and not quite accurate to reality. This hasn't however, changed anything.

I'm far too much of a food lover, not to mention far to full of self respect to ever develop an eating disorder (that sounds oddly like famous last words) though the thought has often crossed my mind to crash diet or find some wonder pill that will turn me into Twiggy. I'm too sensible to think that way for long however, and I just always go back to the "go run if you don't like yourself" mantra.

It's more difficult now, than it was in grad school, to get myself up and out the door to the gym. I've got more to focus on and things to do than I ever did in Charleston. Work tends to monopolize a majority of my time, but at the end of it all, I don't make working out a priority. I'm hoping to change that soon - working out in some form, intensive or not, every week day.

The last think I want to think about on my wedding day is how much of a cow I feel like in my pretty dress. Thoughts like that make me run another lap around the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment